The Yeomen are the principal focus of the charitable activity of The Musicians’ Company, a leading City Livery Company founded in 1500.
A category of membership for outstanding young musicians, it was launched in 2000. There are around 25 Yeomen each year, all young professionals embarking on their careers. They are drawn from the winners of our most prestigious prizes.
Former Yeomen include Alfie Boe tenor, Amy Dickson saxophone, Milos Karadaglic guitar, Duncan Rock baritone, Ksenija Sidorova accordion, Ashley Fripp piano, Joseph Shiner clarinet and Ben Baker violin.
Through their five years as Yeomen they participate in a programme designed to support and develop them personally and professionally as they establish themselves in a highly competitive world.
Performance opportunities and participation in our extensive schools outreach work in London are at the heart of the programme coupled with mentoring and financial help. In 2016:
- Yeomen took part in 155 schools outreach visits in London reaching 8,122 children in 56 schools
- there were over 75 bookings from festivals and venues for our Yeomen
The Company plans to develop the Yeomen programme through:
- building sustainability and continuity in the schools outreach programme extending opportunities for Yeomen and lasting benefits for the children
- developing performance opportunities and fees subsidies where appropriate
- extending professional development courses for Yeomen.