Dankworth Prize for Jazz Composition & The Eddie Harvey Jazz Arranger of the Year Award 2017: Matt Anderson and Jacky Naylor
On 23 March 2017 the Dankworth Prize for Jazz Composition winners were announced at a concert in Milton Court, Silk Street, London. Matt Anderson received an award in the ‘Small Ensemble’ category for his piece Jig Jag Jug, and Jacky Naylor received an award in the ‘Big Band’ category for his work Bilbao. These awards were presented by Jacqui and Emily Dankworth.
Saxophonist Matt Anderson is currently studying for a Master of Arts in Performance at the Royal Academy of Music. Jacky Naylor is a jazz pianist and composer based in Birmingham. Matthew Sulzmann was the runner-up in the ‘Small Ensemble’ category for his piece Castle View, and the runner-up in the ‘Big Band’ category was James Brady for his work Hermeto’s Hideaway.
At the same event, The Eddie Harvey Jazz Arranger of the Year Award 2017 was given to Tom Green for his big band arrangement of Badger Jam. Tom is a London-based trombonist, composer, arranger and improviser working primarily in the fields of jazz and contemporary music.
The winners’ compositions were performed at the concert by members of the Guildhall Big Band, under the direction of Scott Stroman.
For All Media Enquiries Contact:
Ian Roberts A Star PR
Tel +44 (0) 208 859 4846
Tel + 44 (0) 7971 191 582
- For over 500 years the Worshipful Company of Musicians has supported the music profession in all its forms.
- Every year the Company gives a range of awards, scholarships and medals, which make a real difference to the lives of outstanding young singers, composers and instrumentalists as they make the transition from study to a professional career in music.
- The Dankworth Prize was established by Art Mead in 2007, and has been administered by the Musicians’ Company, generously sponsored by the Wavendon Foundation, since 2011. There are two prizes for original jazz compositions: £1000 for a composition for Big Band and £1000 for a composition for Small Ensemble (7-9 players).
- The Eddie Harvey Jazz Arranger of the Year Award is open to British residents of all ages. A prize of £1,000 is offered for an arrangement for big band.
- Other awards range from Classical Music to Jazz, Music Theatre, Popular Music, Brass Bands and the Military Schools of Music.
- Each year The Musicians’ Company, one of the oldest and most respected charitable companies in the City of London, donates over £220,000 in scholarships and awards in support of young musicians at the start of their careers across all musical disciplines.If you would like to learn more about the Company, join us at our events or support our Yeomen, please visit our website, www.wcom.org.uk or contact Hugh Lloyd, at firstname.lastname@example.org.